Laparoscopic Hernioplasty is an advanced surgical procedure mainly used to treat Inguinal Hernia. It is also used for the treatment of different types of Hernia. In Laparoscopic Hernioplasty procedure, organ is pushed back to its original position and a synthetic meshwork or patch is added for support. An Inguinal Hernia occurs when tissue especially a part of the intestine comes through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles. This bulge is very painful during coughing, bending and lifting heavy objects. The area of the lower abdominal wall is called as inguinal or groin region. Inguinal hernias occur at the inguinal canal in the groin region. Inguinal hernia affects routine life of patients hence it should be treated without wasting a time to avoid life threatening complications in the future. Inguinal hernia repair is a common surgical procedure which is mostly performed by minimally invasive or laparoscopic technique.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is a proficient Laparoscopic Surgeon and Colo-proctologist in Mumbai. He is an expert in the treatment of colon, rectum and anus diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has performed lots of complicated Laparoscopic Hernioplasty surgeries successfully.
Types of Inguinal Hernia
Two types of inguinal hernias are:
- Indirect Inguinal Hernias: It is caused due to a defect in the abdominal wall which is present at birth.
- Direct Inguinal Hernias: It occurs only in male adults and is caused by a weakness in the muscles of the abdominal wall which develops over time.
Symptoms of Inguinal Hernia
Inguinal hernia signs and symptoms include:
- A bulge in the area on either side of pubic bone
- A burning or aching sensation at the bulge
- Pain or discomfort in groin area especially during bending, coughing or lifting
- A heavy or dragging sensation in groin area
- Weakness or pressure in groin area
- Swollen or an enlarged scrotum in men
Causes of Inguinal Hernia
Some inguinal hernias do not have exact causes but other inguinal hernias have common causes such as:
- High pressure within the abdomen
- A pre-existing weak spot in the abdominal wall
- Straining during bowel movements or urination
- Strenuous activity
- Chronic coughing or sneezing
Laparoscopic Hernioplasty is a modern and safer surgical procedure than open hernia repair surgery. It is also known as minimally invasive procedure as it does not require big tissue cutting. Laparoscopic Hernioplasty is performed by a well experienced and skillful laparoscopic surgeon only.
Procedure of Laparoscopic Hernioplasty
- Laparoscopic Hernioplasty surgery is performed under a general anesthesia. The surgeon makes several small incisions in the lower abdomen.
- A laparoscope is a thin tube with a tiny video camera attached to one end and it is inserted into one incision.
- The camera sends a magnified image from inside the body on a monitor. These images are very helpful for a surgeon, so that surgeon can get close-up view of the hernia and surrounding tissue
- Then surgeon inserts tiny instruments through other incisions with the help of camera to repair the hernia using synthetic mesh.
- Laparoscopic Hernioplasty procedure is not only repairs hernia but also avoids the recurrence of hernia.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Hernioplasty
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery time
- Quick return to normal diet
- Faster healing process
- Better cosmetic healing
- Less bleeding
- No big tissue cutting
Dr Gaurav Mishra is a well known and highly experienced General Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mumbai. He is a specialist in the colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra’s Saraswati Nursing Home in Mumbai is a well equipped with advanced medical technology to provide modern Laparoscopic treatments to all types of stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has a comprehensive knowledge of colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. He has a good experience about laparoscopic procedures involved in the diagnosis and treatment of anal, rectum, colon and Stomach diseases.